Mission & vision
Automotive & Racing
Aerospace & Defense
Paints & coatings
News and Events
News and events
TEC Eurolab Newsletter
Welding/Brazing procedures certification
Welding/Brazing procedures certification
By Qualification of the welding process indicates the ability to meet the design requirements and control of mechanical properties depending on the type of base material, filler material and welding procedure used.
The reference standards for this activity are the following:
UNI EN ISO 15607:2005
(replacing UNI EN 288-1:1993 + A1:1999)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. General rules for fusion welding
UNI EN ISO 15609-1:2006
(replacing UNI EN 288-2:1993 + A1:1999)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Welding procedure specification for arc welding.
UNI EN ISO 15614-1:2005
(replacing UNI EN 288-3:1993 + A1:1999)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Qualifying tests for welding procedure for arc welding of steels.
UNI EN ISO 15614-2:2006
(replacing UNI EN 288-4:1993 + A1:1999)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Qualifying tests for the welding procedure for arc welding of aluminum and its alloys.
UNI EN ISO 15610:2005
(replacing UNI EN 288-5:1996)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Qualification by the use of welding filler materials homologated for arc welding.
UNI EN ISO 15611:2005
(replacing UNI EN 288-6:1996)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Qualification based on experience.
UNI EN ISO 15612:2006
(replacing UNI EN 288-7:1997)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Qualification by unified welding procedures for arc welding.
UNI EN ISO 15613:2005
(replacing UNI EN 288-8:1997)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Qualification by pre-production welding tests.
UNI EN 288-9:2001
(retired standard without replacement)
Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials - Qualification test of the welding process for butt-welding of pipes on land and at sea
These standards shall indicate:
• how to prepare the qualification welded joints (with reference to the type of production joints);
• laboratory tests to be performed;
• the characteristics of the specimen bars;
• the criteria for acceptability of test results;
• the range of validity of the qualification.
DOCUMENTATION: WPS and WPQR
(Welding Procedure Specification)
All welding parameters set for the weld qualification, are presented in a document called WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) which is issued following the requirements of the standard. The WPS provides evidence of all the parameters involved in the welding process and constitutes the essential instrument for recording the data used for the qualification procedure and/or welder. These parameters are then the ones used for the actual production of welded joints (WPS production).
During the execution of test pieces, the technician in charge, verbalizes and verify the actual conditions of realization of the joint in question stating:
1. welding parameters
2. base materials
3. filler materials
4. shielding gases
5. welding technique
(All data will be reported in the reference WPS).
(Welding Procedure Qualification Report)
At the end of laboratory tests, if the results meet the acceptability requirements of the standard, the procedure shall be considered qualified and a WPQR will be issued, ie a qualification statement of the welding procedure, prepared in accordance with the requirements of the reference standard which will include:
1. laboratory results
2. the actual conditions of welding
3. validity ranges provided in the reference standard.
Therefore the parameters and the welding conditions recorded in the qualification report may be used in the realization of production joints.
Once certified the welding process, if no changes are made to the process itself,
the certification does not expire!
The certification process is also closely linked to the company and not to the welder or operator performing the welding.
VALIDITY RANGES OF THE QUALIFICATIONS OF WELDING PROCEDURE.
The qualification of welding procedure, with reference to the parameters specified in the WPS has a well defined range of validity.
Referring to the standard applied, essential variables of the qualification are identified, to which the range of validity will be associated. These variables are:
• the type of welding process (MAG, MIG, TIG, shielded metal arc welding, Plasma, Submerged Arc Welding, etc.).
• the base metal to weld (carbon-manganese steel, stainless steel, aluminum, etc.).
• the type of components to be welded (tubes, metal sheets, etc.).
• the joint type and its preparation (butt joint - with V, X or T bevel - T-joints, etc.).
• welding from one side only, with or without support, and on both sides, with or without a groove on the reverse;
• the diameter and the thickness of pipes and plates;
• the welding position (flat, vertical upward, front, etc.).
• the classification of filler materials (solid wires, animated, coated electrodes, shielding gases, etc.).
• the electrical parameters, such as welding speed, heat input, the voltage, current intensity, etc.
A careful use of standards enables the qualification of all welding activities with the minimum number of procedures and qualifications of welders, thereby obtaining the TOTAL PLANNING OF THE PRODUCTION OF WELDING PROCESS
Our team of experts is ready to support you with testing and improvement of materials, products and processes
Send us your request
TEC Eurolab Srl
- Viale Europa, 40 - 41011 Campogalliano (Mo) - Italy
+39 059 527775 -
+39 059 527773 -
Copyright © 2005-2017 TEC Eurolab Srl